Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Falling in love with the PC all over again


Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a confession to make.

Once upon a time when consoles were still in their early stages of development, I was a dedicated PC gamer. I always swore that the Mouse and Keyboard were the only way to play. Consoles were in their early stages of development, and the PC was the closest games got to graphical realism at the time.

Sure, I played console as well, but when I really wanted to get engrossed in a game, I played it on PC. I spent days and even weeks on games like Doom, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Mechwarrior. I couldn't wait to get to my friends houses to play Duke Nukem in Multiplayer.

With the release of the Playstation my favoritism started to wain a bit, and I began to play games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Dead or Alive.

I was tired of spending money on new hardware for my computer, only to have it change again over the next 6 months. I also got tired of installation times and patching games to work just a little bit better on my mediocre PC.

By the time the PlayStation 2 was out my focus had officially begun to change, and the thumb cramps started to disappear over time, just as my controller skills began to improve.


Eventually with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 looking as good as they are, I only really played the few PC exclusives that held my attention, like Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft and Torchlight.

I even generally play First Person shooters on console now instead of PC, and although I missed my mouse and keyboard, I still enjoy them to this day.

Anyway, so my confession is just that - I had lost touch with PC gaming, even though it had been the root of gaming in my life.

A few days ago that all changed. My girlfriend got herself a new computer with ridiculously high specs and amazing screen. She plays games too, and to be very honest, more often than not she kicks my ass at almost any console game she puts her mind to. (It's more a compliment to her than an insult to me, because I don't suck at these games either.)

So I went and bought us Call of Duty Black Ops on PC, and even though I have it on console, I knew she would love it as well. (Her only reason for not playing on console was the controller anyway.)

Call of Duty Black Ops on PC with everything on full detail is a dream come true.(ok, a very violent and twisted dream as well.) I'm absolutely loving it, and being able to use the mouse and keyboard again seems to make me a much better player as well. I don't die nearly as much.

Needless to say I've been hogging the PC a bit, but I'll step back when she needs to use it, of course. I'm sure she'll be playing it for most of this weekend, and I'll be playing Xbox again as usual.
 
But hey, I won't be neglecting PC gaming either. I'm kind of ashamed that I did to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PS3 (199) Xbox (172) PC (113) RPG (68) FPS (62) General (48) Final Fantasy XIII-2 (39) Multiplayer (35) Skyrim (26) Nintendo (21) Oddworld (21) 3DS (20) Silent Hill (19) MMO (18) 3D (16) Resident Evil (14) Diablo 3 (11) Kinect (11) Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City (11) Zombies (11) Call of Duty (10) Pixelcast (10) Dead Island (8) Prototype 2 (8) Console (7) Comics (6) E3 2012 (6) Guild Wars 2 (6) Retro Gaming (6) Fighting games (5) House of the Dead (5) Minecraft (5) PS2 (5) Rage (5) Angry Birds (4) Assassins Creed (4) Batman (4) Guild Wars (4) Kingdoms of Amalur (4) Lollipop Chainsaw (4) Mass Effect (4) Microsoft (4) PS Vita (4) Platformer (4) Star Wars: The Old Republic (4) Wii-U (4) World of Warcraft (4) metal gear solid (4) Battlefield (3) Borderlands 2 (3) GTA5 (3) Game of Thrones (3) IOS (3) Ipad (3) Mario Kart (3) May Payne 3 (3) Resident Evil 4 (3) Star Wars (3) The Darkness (3) Uncharted (3) Walking Dead (3) faq (3) guide (3) trophy (3) Assassins Creed 3 (2) Black Ops 2 (2) Blades of Time (2) DLC (2) Dark Souls (2) Dawnguard (2) Farcry (2) Forum (2) Gears of War (2) Halo (2) Hitman (2) Iphone (2) Kid Icarus: Uprising (2) Mac (2) Medal of Honor (2) Sony Vita (2) Speculation (2) Trine 2 (2) peacewalker (2) rumors (2) Android (1) Arrow (1) Asura's Wrath (1) Back Eyed Peas Experience (1) Baldurs gate (1) Bastion (1) Battlefield 4 (1) Bethesda (1) Bioware (1) Borderlands (1) City of Heroes (1) Command and Conquer (1) Counterstrike (1) Dancing games (1) Darkness 2 (1) Dead Space (1) Demon Hunter (1) Diablo3 (1) Dishonored (1) Dream Drop Distance (1) Dungeon Siege 3 (1) EA (1) Fable (1) Facebook Games (1) Feature (1) Free (1) GDC 2012 (1) Game Music (1) Gametrailers Game of the Year Awards (1) God of War (1) God of War 4 (1) God of War Ascension (1) Heroes of Ruin (1) Hunger games (1) John C. Reilly (1) Kart Racing (1) Karting (1) Kingdom Hearts (1) Level Editor (1) Lionhead Studios (1) Little Big Planet (1) Mario Tennis (1) Mass Effect 3 (1) Max Payne (1) Mechwarrior Online (1) Modnation (1) Nightmare mode (1) Outrage (1) Peter Molyneux (1) Portal (1) Portal 2 (1) Psychonauts (1) Quantum Conundrum (1) RTS (1) Rayman Origins (1) Red Dead Redemption (1) Reducing Stress with Video games (1) Rich Moore (1) Saints Row (1) Serious Sam (1) Shootmania (1) Soul Calibur 5 (1) Steam Box (1) Tactical Inversion (1) Team Fortress (1) The Elder Scrolls Online (1) The Last of us (1) The Old Republic (1) The Shoot (1) The Witcher (1) Theatrhythm (1) Tiger Woods (1) Tomb Raider (1) Torchlight 2 (1) Trackmania (1) UFO (1) Valve (1) Wacky Wheels (1) Warhammer (1) WiiU (1) Wreck it Ralph (1) Xcom - Enemy Unknown (1) ZombiU (1) collection (1) hd (1) iTunes (1) ipod (1) knee (1) kojima (1) review (1)